Sunday, June 24, 2007

Prokofy Neva Banned from Terra Nova

While preparing a response, I found that both Catherine Fitzpatrick (aka Prokofy Neva) and I have been banned from Terra Nova. I, of course, have no problems with that, but it will be very interesting to see how Catherine/Prokofy reacts.

The funny part is that my last comment actually contains none of my own words; it's two quotes from Prokofy and nothing more. Check it out - Link.

I guess just quoting someone was enough to put Dan Hunter over the edge (though from some of his posts on Terra Nova I guess a few people would venture he was close to it already). Here's the fateful post - Link.

Anyway, because I couldn't post my comment on TN, I'll do that below. Here's the thread - Link - and I was replying to this comment - Link.

-

Candy said:"This forum is public only in the sense that you can make a fool out of yourself to however many people read the blog"

Unless of course you demand everyone use your virtual world name... while providing both your real and virtual names to media outlets whenever you see fit. Then that potentially soiled reputation isn't attached to the person operating the puppet.

I'd argue that if
It's a public record. It's an archive. It's history-in-the-making because this field is so innovative and revolutionary with far-reaching consequences - Link
then there's a conflict between that position - of ensuring all the "facts" are in order and proper attribution given - and complaining that
someone drags in a RL name so as to try to harass with undesired disclosure - Link
-

Some topics are touchy. Who wants to be associated with any conversations regarding topics like virtual pedophilia? Unless of course you have an avatar to front for you. Then you can use foul language, make false accusations, and treat opinions as facts in order to bully everyone into silence.

Then the issue isn't "undesired disclosure"; it's about controlled disclosure.

As far as I'm concerned, if someone is going to enter their words into the "public record", that individual should own them. Not the funny name picked from available options while registering for some company's virtual world application, but the real person sitting at the keyboard deciding which words to type.

-

Now stay tuned for what I expect to be a monster whinescraper.

As I told someone earlier, I'm learning more than I expected from this little episode. That will be put to good use, I'm sure.

No comments: